Cycle Mashatu 2019: 20 to 23 September 2019
Dust off your passports it’s time to cycle through Mashatu in Botswana for the 12th annual Club 100 MTB tour. Some say this might be the best tour yet, others say this is the one Club 100 tour not to be missed. After seeing the literary this might be the inspiration you need to get fit or stay fit in 2019.
Based in the Northern Tuli Reserve of Botswana, the Cycle Mashatu Wilderness Trail provides a unique opportunity to ride at leisure along ancient elephant migration paths, cycle through vast herds of wildlife and to sleep under starlit African skies. Join us for this unforgettable wildlife biking experience in Mashatu, the “Land of the Giants”! The Northern Tuli Game Reserve - where vast herds of elephant, giraffe, wildebeest and zebra have roamed the dramatic, rugged landscape for thousands of years.
It will be the second time the Club Tour heads across the border and its set to be a very memorable experience. Riders will also be able to experience big sections of the Tour de Tuli route, without the big groups of riders. We will aim for 14 -16 riders. We have a few places secured for “Members of Standing” i.e. riders that have completed more than one tour. We can accommodate members that have not attended one of these tours before, if all places are not taken. The tour is at cost and no surplus is budgeted for.
- Cost of the Tour: R6,200 per rider
- Duration: 4 days (Refer to Annexure A)
- Distance: Day 1 20 km, Day 2 60 km, Day 3 60 km, Day 4 20 km (estimated)
- Date: 20-23 September 2019
We will use our own transport to get to the border (Pont drift crossing) and will look at the logistics closer to the time. We will try and secure the club kombi and trailer and as far as possible share rides between participants. We will also communicate all other required documentation for cars i.e. registration docs, consents etc. closer to the time. NB: NO PASSPORT NO RIDE!!!
WHO SHOULD ATTEND (SKILL LEVEL):
- Someone that loves MTB and wildlife
- This is NOT a tour for beginners.
- All members of standing are once again welcome, and we have space for other Club members who have not attended before.
- If we have space, we allow non Club 100 members but only by nomination and after all avenues to bring C100 newbies into the fold.
- You should be able to ride for at least 5 hours on MTB
- Average distance will be between 60 – 70km per day at an acceptable pace, usually taking 4-5 hours. This is a tour and the focus is on the fun and the adventure of exploring and riding in new places –and for us it is not a race. However, if you don’t have the skill the tour will not be enjoyable. It is very similar to a B&Bush / Sani day.
- You should be able to complete the typical Sunday ride with the Club with relative ease and add say two hours to the ride.
- Confirm your booking by e-mail to email@example.com and pay R3 100 deposit into the Club 100 account as follows: Club 100 Nedbank Sandton, A/C number 1970 605 340, Branch code 197 005 and Ref Name/MTB Tour by End Feb 2019.
- Send your confirmation to Angie at Club 100 with the details (as back up) - firstname.lastname@example.org .
Our Club tours have become legendary over the years and real cycling friendships have been built up during this time. If you have not attended one of the tours NOW is the time to cross over! You will never regret the move.
CYCLE WEEKEND 20 to 23 September 2019
Day 1: Meet at Border, ride to wilderness camp
We meet on the South African side at Pont Drift Border Post at 13h00. Once done with border formalities, we prepare our bikes, load the support vehicle and enjoy a light lunch we bike to our 1st wilderness camp. After an exhilarating afternoon ride, we arrive to chilled drinks, a hot bucket shower and a wholesome dinner. Our temporary, low impact, fully equipped wilderness camp provides for an unforgettable night’s rest after a hard day’s ride. Meals are prepared on open fires. Starlit skies and night sounds will awaken your senses, and a night under canvas will inspire your instincts. Qualified trails guides accompany each group and ensure the safety and enjoyment of the group.
Day 2: Explore Mashatu
After a night in the African Wilderness, we awake early to fresh brewed coffee and a hearty breakfast. After preparing the bikes we head off to uncharted terrains. Discover new skills as rocky outcrops, sandy riverbeds and open plains test biking abilities. We’ll break for a tea/drinks stop along route and arrive back at camp for lunch. A welcome afternoon siesta follows. The late afternoon will bring the chance to take a short walk to a nearby sundowner point and enjoy a few cold beers!
Day 3: Journey to new camp
Today brings a new dawn and we bike out towards our last camp. Testing terrain and changing landscapes make for a great ride. A pasta lunch and hot showers welcome weary legs and an opportunity to sit back, relax and savour that sense of achievement. After an afternoon of leisure, we head off to a nearby cliff for a sundowner. Return to an open fire prepared meal, fireside chatter and restful night’s sleep under the stars.
Day 4: Departure
Day 4 brings an end to the safari with a cycle or transfer straight back to the Pont Drift border. We are usually back at the border at around 9:30am.